Lost your property papers? Here are the steps you should take


The sale deed is critical evidence of property ownership. No transaction concerning the property can take place unless the original papers are furnished.

Hence it is important to keep the papers carefully. However, if the papers cannot be located due to some reasons, immediate steps need to be taken.

  • Filing an FIR

The first step is to visit the nearest police station and file a first information report (FIR). The FIR needs to mention that the papers are lost. A copy of the FIR should be taken by the owner and preserved for future reference.

  • Notice in newspaper

A notice should be published in English and regional language newspapers stating particulars of the property, documents lost and contact details should anyone find the missing papers.

  • Share certificate

In case the share certificate allotted by a housing society is misplaced, one has to apply for reissue of the same. The FIR copy and newspaper notice have to be furnished with the application. The society may impose charges for reissue of certificate.

  • Undertaking

The owner has to make an undertaking on stamp paper, to be submitted at the registrar’s offi ce, with details of the property, lost documents, copy of FIR and copy of the newspaper notice. The undertaking must be registered, attested and notarised.

  • Application for duplicate sale deed

An application with the following documents must be made to the property registrar to obtain duplicate copies of the sale deed. The prescribed fee for obtaining a duplicate will have to be deposited in the registrar’s office.

  • Copy of FIR
  • Copy of newspaper notice
  • Copy of share certificates issued
  • Notarised undertaking

Points to note

  • Some states/cities allow FIR to be lodged online for certain complaints. You can explore if such options are available.


Author: Loki